Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Experienced Legal Counsel When You Need It Most

Legal ways to contest a deportation order

On Behalf of | Jul 19, 2021 | Immigration Law

Receiving a Order of Removal (OR) can be a scary, life-altering experience. The majority of immigrants come to the US to improve their lives and those of their families, and being removed can be utterly disruptive. Thankfully, there are ways for immigrants in Texas and other states to contest their deportation orders. Whether it’s through discretionary relief or administrative relief, it is possible that an OR can be overturned.

What are some of the ways to stop deportation

Asylum allows immigrants to gain permanent status in the country if they can prove that returning to their native country would result in persecution or death. Whether political, ethnic, racial, religious or other cause, the asylum seeker must demonstrate a valid, credible fear of what would happen to him if he is returned to his country.

Using a cancellation of removal allows the deportee the option of challenging the immigration judge’s decision to remove him from the country. He must meet the continuous-presence requirement related to his immigration status and not have committed crimes that render him eligible for deportation. An immigration law attorney might be able to advise him of more specific criteria he must meet in order to use this option.

Voluntary removal is also an option. An immigrant can leave the country voluntarily if he is here illegally or incurred an infraction that makes him deportable. When he departs the US in this manner, he may be eligible for re-entry to the US without being barred for a certain amount of time.

An adjustment of status can stop a deportation order. If the alien qualifies, his temporary nonimmigrant status can be changed to permanent resident with the help of an employer or member of his family who is an American citizen or legal permanent resident.

Legal help may be necessary

Immigration laws are very complex and change often. If you or a loved one has received a deportation order, you should consult with an immigration attorney who is abreast of current laws and has a strong record of winning hard cases for her clients.