Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Experienced Legal Counsel When You Need It Most

How to obtain a fiancé(e) visa if you’re from Texas

On Behalf of | Apr 14, 2022 | Immigration Law

If you are engaged to a citizen of a foreign country, and you would like to live with them in Texas, United States, you may be wondering how you can get them a visa. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do so.

Step 1. Collect the required documents

Immigration law dictates that you must submit several documents as part of your fiancé visa application. They include:

  • A completed I-129F form (a petition for an alien fiancé(e))
  • Two 2×2 photographs
  • Evidence of a relationship (e.g., plane tickets to visit one another, communication logs, photos together, engagement ring receipt, etc.)
  • Proof of financial support
  • A medical examination report

Step 2. Schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate

After submitting your application and all the required documents, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will schedule an interview with the visa applicant (your fiancé in another country) after a couple of weeks or months. The consular officer will ask them about your relationship and plans for the future. They will also go over the requirements for entering the United States on a fiancé visa.

The U.S. citizen sponsor is not required to attend this interview. However, there are exceptional circumstances where Embassy or Consulate can ask you to appear on it. For example, when your previous marriage ended very recently. The consular must confirm that you are serious about your current relationship.

Step 3. Entering the United States on a fiancé visa

After your interview, the consular officer will inform you whether your visa has been approved or not. If approved, your fiancé will be given a packet of information that includes a visa and instructions for entering the United States.

After arriving in Texas, you will have 90 days to get married. Afterward, you can see how to apply for a green card so that they can become a permanent resident. This green card will be conditional, meaning it can be revoked anytime. For them to get a permanent green card, you must stay together for two years. Then you can file Form I-751 to remove the conditions set on their green card.

You need to take the right steps and provide every information that the Embassy or Consulate requires during this process. Forgetting to include a single document or making a misstep in your application can cause extensive delays or make it nearly impossible to get this visa.